Theory Test Practice – Essential Documents

essential documents, theory training, theory test, theory test practice, mock theory test

When it comes to your theory test practice, the topic of essential documents will look at car insurance groups, who is allowed to teach learner drivers, eyesight requirements, MOT’s, and car documents.

Learner POD has compiled a unique training programme to help with your theory training studies! We have an online theory training course that you can access here. The course consists of video tutorials with real-life footage explaining the many parts of the theory exam. Alongside the course, you will also have access to our member’s area and a safe group to share, discuss and motivational support for your studies.

Here is a list of all the topics that make up the theory training syllabus:

  1. Alertness
  2. Attitude
  3. Safety Margins
  4. Safety & Your Vehicle
  5. Hazard awareness
  6. Vulnerable Road Users
  7. Other types of vehicle
  8. Road conditions and vehicle handling
  9. Motorway driving
  10. Rules of the road
  11. Road and traffic signs
  12. Essential documents
  13. Incidents, accidents and emergencies
  14. Vehicle loading


When it comes to your theory test practice, it is really important to make sure you cover all of the aspects of the exam in your training schedule. Missing one section may result in you failing your theory test. It is important to make sure this does NOT happen to you.

Learner POD has compiled a comprehensive training online theory course and an abundance of free training material which will help with your theory studies. Hop over to our YouTube channel to access lots of free resources and training videos.

Theory Test Practice – Essential Documents

In this topic, we shall explore the levels of car insurance, the v5 document, and when to MOT your car. Here are some of the topics on this syllabus:

  1. The MOT test
  2. The driving licence
  3. Car Insurance
  4. Car documents
  5. Learner drivers

The MOT Test

An MOT test makes sure your vehicle is compliant with all road safety and environmental standards. Cars must have their first MOT when they reach 3 years old, and then once every year after that. MOT certificates are valid for a year.

Trailers and caravans DO NOT need an MOT but must be kept in roadworthy condition. 

You are NOT insured (allowed) to drive your car if you have NO MOT certificate, unless:

  1. You have an appointment at an MOT station prior to driving your vehicle
  2. You have an appointment for repairs prior to driving your vehicle.

The Driving Licence

As a learner, you must have a valid provisional licence before you are allowed to learn to drive on the road. If your health changes, you must inform the licensing authority.

This can include:

  • Your health affects your driving
  • Your eyesight doesn’t meet the required standard.

The V5 Document

The vehicle registration certificate (V5C) or log book contains details of:

  • The registered keeper
  • The vehicle details
  • Make of the car
  • Model of the car
  • Engine size of the car
  • Year of first registration

Car Insurance

You must have at least the minimum level of car insurance which is THIRD party to drive on public roads. This will cover:

  • Injury to another person
  • Damage to other vehicles
  • Damage to property

Driving without insurance is against the law in the UK. Driving without car insurance could potentially leave you with a fine of £5000 and disqualification. This is known as a “fixed penalty notice”. Please visit our car insurance section for more advice here.

Car Insurance Excess

When you take out car insurance you will have a fixed amount of excess on your policy. As with all insurance policies, the excess is there to deter petty claims and means the claimant is liable for the ‘said’ amount on the policy in the event of a claim. Here is some advice:

  1. As a general rule: the higher your excess, the lower your car insurance premiums.
  2. In a fault accident, you will be responsible to pay the excess (damage costs are paid by your insurer – your excess)
  3. In a non-fault accident, the third party is liable for the excess.

Learner Drivers

Learner drivers must be accompanied on the road during driving lessons.

The person teaching a learner must be:

  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Has held and currently holds a valid full driving licence for the category vehicle you are driving for three years or more.
  • A qualified driving instructor (green badge)
  • A trainee driving instructor (pink badge)

As of 2018 June – learners are allowed on the motorway with a qualified driving instructor who provides a dual-controlled car. Learners are NOT permitted on the Motorway with parents on private driving lessons.

Required Eyesight To Drive A Car

To be able to drive you must be able to read a number plate from the distance of 20 metres. You must also be able to see in good daylight.

If you need glasses or contact lenses to read a number plate, you must continue to wear them whilst learning to drive and as a full licence holder unless your eyesight changes. The distance required to read a number plate is approximately 5 car lengths in distance.




Essential Documents – Mock Test 1


Essential Documents – Mock Test 2

Essential Documents – Mock Test 3

Please visit our next section on Vehicle Loading 

Useful Resources

Car Insurance Groups


The MOT Requirements

Learners On The Motorway

Statutory Off Rod Notice (SORN)


Add Comment